Apartment Rental in Roanoke, VA
Designed by the prominent, Roanoke-based architectural company Eubank and Caldwell, the four-story H. L. Lawson & Son merchandise warehouse's construction in 1925 was part of a historic transition in the regional economy. Roanoke boomed in the 1880s because of its range as the junction, headquarters, and center of locomotive industries for the Norfolk & Western railroads. Roanoke citizens were surrounded on all sides by evidence of the relationship between transportation, urban growth, and economic expansion, a continuing concern which led members of Roanoke's business community to.
read moreThe Lawson Building is an adaptive re-use project. Seeking to reinvest in built infrastructure as opposed to creating our own, we selected an overlooked merchandise warehouse in the industrial center of Roanoke to convert into 22 residential apartments and three live/work, commercial/retail spaces. In terms of design, we sought to integrate the residential apartments with its surroundings, built and otherwise. We hope to create and sustain a dialogue between the past and the future, the industrial and the natural, the urban and the suburbanWe focused our development and building strategies around minimizing our impact on the natural environment.